Summer is a great time to set health goals to prevent chronic diseases like diabetes and high blood pressure. The Chippewa Valley Summer Activity Passport is here to support you in this by providing you with ideas on where to find exciting opportunities in Eau Claire, Chippewa, and Dunn counties! Whether your health goal is to exercise more frequently or eat more servings of fruits and vegetables, you may find that it’s easier to meet your goals when you’re doing something you enjoy.
“Obesity and chronic disease management were identified as concerns in all three Community Health Assessments completed by Chippewa, Dunn, and Eau Claire Counties. Our local coalitions came together to implement the Summer Activity Passport to encourage families to go out and explore the amazing outdoor opportunities available in the Chippewa Valley,” said Sandy Tarter, FoodWIse Nutrition Coordinator for Chippewa, Dunn, & Eau Claire Counties. “This effort promotes movement, stress reduction, and increased fresh fruit and vegetable intake as action steps towards better health in chronic disease prevention.”
The best part? You might be able to win some prizes for participating in the Summer Activity Passport, include free park and trail passes, workout gear, and more. Here are the details:
- Visit as many parks, trails, and local activities as you want.
- Snap a photo of yourself at each location.
- Upload the photo(s) to https://RB.GY/ZVK94K! Each photo counts as an entry to win a prize, so the more activities you complete, the better your chances of winning.
The Summer Activity Passport can be found at www.visiteauclaire.com/plan/social-media/giveaways/. Winners will be chosen throughout the summer and contacted via email or phone.
“Each of our communities has amazing resources with endless activities to try and places to explore!” said Eau Claire Healthy Communities Chronic Disease Prevention Action Team co-chair JoAnna Bernklau. “The Chippewa Valley Summer Activity Passport was a natural fit for our chronic disease prevention action teams work together on to increase awareness of those resources and connect the importance of physical activity to chronic disease prevention.”
Some great ideas and available attractions include:
Walk or bike a trail-
- Get at least 30 minutes of exercise each day by exploring Eau Claire trails.
- Did you know there were glaciers in Wisconsin millions of years ago? Check out these parks in Chippewa to learn more about natural history!
- Take some Instagram-worthy photos on these Dunn County trails!
Visit a local farmers’ market, orchard, or greenhouse-
- Visit an Eau Claire farmers’ market at Phoenix Park, Festival Foods, or at the Government Center!
- Learn to grow your own produce at a Chippewa greenhouse, orchard, or farmers’ market!
- Try fruits and vegetables you’ve never had before at the Menomonie Saturday Farmers’ Market.
Play tennis or pickleball-
- Visit an indoor tennis facility or play outdoor pickleball at McDonough Park in Eau Claire!
- Challenge your Chippewa friends to a game of pickleball at Gower Pickleball Courts!
- Test your reflexes by playing outdoor pickleball in Dunn County.
Play golf at any golf course in county or frisbee golf-
- Spend a sunny day at an Eau Claire golf course!
- Try golf (and mini golf!) in Dunn county!
- Check out these frisbee golf courses in Eau Claire, Chippewa, and Dunn counties!
Go mountain biking-
- Try some awesome jumps and mountain biking trails (while wearing a helmet!) in Eau Claire!
- Chippewa County has mountain biking trails perfect for any skill level.
- Lake Menomin is a great spot for mountain biking in Dunn County.
Visit a local pool (and don’t forget to wear sunscreen!)
- Swim laps or play frisbee golf at Fairfax Municipal Pool in Eau Claire.
- Make a splash at Wakanda Water Park in Dunn County!
- Enjoy the waterslide at Bernard F Willi Pool in Chippewa Falls.
Visit a park or playground–
- Explore unique playground equipment in Eau Claire parks.
- Pro-tip: Simon Park, Robbins Elementary School, and Putnam Heights elementary school all have play equipment that is accessible to people living with disabilities.
- Create a DIY scavenger hunt for your family while you’re visiting these Chippewa County parks. How many different animals can you find? What shapes do you see on the playground?
- Did you know there’s a “castle” in Dunn County? Explore the Elk Mound Hill Castle and other scenic spots!
Enjoy Local Art and Museums–
- Check out this sculpture tour or enjoy a museum in Eau Claire!
- Take a walking tour of local art and history in Chippewa Falls.
Explore a local cave, historical museums, and more in Dunn County.