What is 4-H?
4-H is the youth component of the University Wisconsin Madison Chippewa County Extension It serves young people in grades First-13th grade (one year out of high school). These youth participate in individual and group learning opportunities in a safe environment that teach skills through an experiential process.
“To make the best better.”
Green and White are the 4-H colors. The 4-H Flag is a green clover with a white “H” on each leaf and a white background.
What do the 4-H’s stand for?
- Head: 4-H’ers learn about new project areas, try new skills, and gain new knowledge and experience.
- Heart: 4-H’ers learn about who they are and what they stand for, along with gaining many new friends.
- Hands: 4-H’ers learn about helping their community and are involved in a wide variety of service projects.
- Health: 4-H’ers learn about healthy lifestyles and to make choices that will have a positive impact in their lives.
- My HEAD to clearer thinking (right hand points to forehead)
- My HEART to greater loyalty (right hand over heart)
- My HANDS to larger service (arms slightly bent, palms up)
- And my HEALTH to better living for my club, my community, my county and my world (arms at side)
What can we do in 4-H?
Just to highlight a few:
- Bring projects to the Northern Wisconsin State Fair. Participating in projects that may be brought to the fair is available to youth of all ages. By completing a project, youth are able to explore many different areas of interest. Youth also gain hands-on experience and knowledge while having fun.
- Participate in a State or National Trips with other youth. Visit our Events & Opportunities page to see the list of opportunities.
- In July, youth are invited to attend Summer Camp at Kamp Kenwood in Chippewa Falls, WI. Youth grades completing grades 3-8 can participate in an 3 night “Overnight Camp” experience. Youth completing grades 1-3 can participate in a one day “Day Camp” experience.
- STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) Camp. Youth in grades 3-5 are invited to attend STEM Camp to explore various science projects. Camp is held in October. Camp registration can be found under the Events & Opportunities page.
Enroll in 4-H
Enrollment in 4-H for both youth and leaders in Wisconsin is done through 4HOnline. Visit our Enroll Now for additional information or go to 4honline to get started.
A helpful tool for first year members is the Enrollment Booklet & Project Guide. This handbook will help you through the steps to enroll and select projects.
Contact our office for more information:
Chippewa County Extension
4-H Program Coordinator
711 N. Bridge Street
Courthouse, Room 13
Chippewa Falls, WI 54729